According to Bobpockrass Twitter, The deal is now done. Kasey Kahne will drive for Red Bull Racing in 2011. Red Bull will have 2 cars (sticking with Toyota), Kahne in one, and either Brian Vicker sor Scott Speed in the other. They will not run 3 cars.

The agreement is for 1 year with Kahne moving to Hendrick's #5 in 2012.

Also on Nascar.com:

http://www.nascar.com/2010/news/headlines/cup/08/09/kkahne.red.bull...

Also, RCR to announce Budwieser with Harvick soon.

Views: 18

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Zoom
The RCR deal with Bud is not complete, but from what has been leaked, it's not a full deal like in the past. RCR will still have to find sponsorship for as many as 16 races.
According to most Twitter reports from Nascar beat writers...it's a done deal. Bud will run most events and special races (Bud Shootout, All Star Race) and Reese's will run the remainder. The hold up is getting all the legal stuff signed and artwork approved....put a fork in it!
Wow, somebody tell me why it's not a no-brainer to put him in another HMS powered car @ SHR? Did they run out of CC's to hand out?
He isn't bloated enough to fit into a standard Stewart-Hendrick Racing drivers suit?
I think maybe NASCAR has had words with the felon about flaunting the 4 car rule. This move appears sterile in that regard.
From most reports, sponsorship was the issue. Hard to give SHR a sponsor for 1 year, knowing many might be out a job in 2012 if another sponsor isn't found. Plus SHR is still trying to find additional funding for Newman & Stewart. SHR has a major alliance with HMS, but it's still a self-operating team. It didn't make good business sense for SHR. Getting Kahne would be great, but only money for his team and only 1 year, not worth it.

Red Bull Racing on the other hand has a great opportunity for both. The sponsorship is already from within, and with Vickers future still up in the air, what better way for Red Bull to attract a future star than to showcase their equipment with Kahne. Brian Vickers has been good driver, but has not reached that top level that Kahne has. Having Kahne even for 1 year helps the team buy time to decide their future with driver lineup.

If Vickers returns, Scott Speed will likely be out and could run Nationwide or Truck series, but if Vickers doesn't return, expect Speed to get a lot of instructions from Kahne. Win-Win for HMS, Kahne and Red Bull Racing.
Official Press Releases:

Kasey Kahne will drive a Red Bull Racing Team Toyota in 2011, the team announced. "We were fortunate to have the opportunity to hire a very talented driver for the 2011 season and we took it," said Jay Frye, Red Bull Racing Team Vice President and General Manager. "This is a unique situation that doesn't happen every day. Kasey is a perfect fit for our company, team and Red Bull." "This opportunity places me with an established, competitive team that has proven they can win races and make the Chase," Kahne said. "I have great respect for Red Bull, so to have the opportunity to drive for Red Bull Racing Team in 2011 is a great fit for me, both personally and professionally. It feels good to be able to finally put this to rest and focus my energy on finishing the season strong for the 9 team and our sponsors." "This obviously all happened very quickly," Frye added. "Over the next month, we will finalize the specific team details."(Red Bull Racing PR)

Statement from Rick Hendrick: "Kasey is going to a competitive organization that made the Chase last season and has great leadership and resources," said Hendrick, owner of Hendrick Motorsports. "Of everything we looked at, he and I agree it's the best opportunity for him to be successful in 2011, which was always our number-one priority. The process went on longer than any of us anticipated, but I'm glad that we took our time to make sure it was right. And although I'm not looking forward to racing against him next year, I'm comfortable knowing this is the best situation for Kasey." As announced in April, veteran Mark Martin will continue to drive Hendrick Motorsports' #5 Chevys in 2011. "We're looking forward to another year with Mark Martin, one of the true class acts in racing, driving for Hendrick Motorsports," Hendrick said. "There aren't many things in this world I'd rather do than win a championship with him, and that will be our goal with the #5 team for the rest of this year and in 2011."(Hendrick PR)
cmon Zoom....RedBull knows Vickers isnt coming back in 2011......Kahne or Sorenson ? EZ choice.
Exactly... BV's career as a driver is over for the short term and may be permanently. To think RBR doesn't know this now is absurd.
From the surface I agree with ya. But, Nascar Now had a doctor on that explained the whole recovery process and IF Vickers returns, it won't be until next season.

As for Kahne or Sorensoe...umm...Kahne is a no brainer. The biggest problem I see, what if Kahne lights it up like Kyle Busch did at JGR next year and wins like 5+ races, makes The Chase and all, then in 2012 has a Junior like year...Kyle & Junior both struggled at HMS. That's when it will get interesting...
Doctor ,schmoctor. Dude is seriously messed up unless he is on the medicine. On medicine = no racing,but he can at least live.

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service