Labonte signs and another potential ride for Robby is lost.........

Well, Bobby is gone and another seat is filled for next year. Things are starting to happen now and I hope Robby has a chair for next season when the music stops...........

Views: 164

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Look back at past drivers. They still get good finishes, but they start being 'consistent' instead of great. That Other Gordon has moved into the next phase of his career.

He is now losing races that he used to win. Five years ago, Gordon would have won four races so far this year at least, if you look at the situations he has been in. But he didn't. At some point, they all stop winning.

Go look at the career stats for Darrell Waltrip, Rusty Wallace, and Dale Sr. (although his decline was cut short in one tragic moment.) Look at second-tier guys like Dale Jarrett, Ricky Rudd, Terry Labonte and Harry Gant. One day, the win well goes dry. No one thought when each of those guys won for the final time that they would never get to Victory Lane again.

My point is this: Gordon is done winning championships and races by the bunches. He's not even the top dog at his own team, and it's going to get worse when Kahne shows up in either 2011 or '12, if Gordon is even still around by then.

My guy feeling: Gordon will go winless this year, then maybe bounce back and win one or two next year, and then it will be over. Several of the drivers I mentioned earlier had that bounce back year after their decline had started.

Study history and look for patterns.

As Bob Dylan sang, 'it's not dark yet, but it's getting there ...'
Just to follow up with a few facts, Gordon is 1 for his last 97. For perspective, David Reutimann has won two races over that span.

Among his teammates, here's their wins for 2008-10:
Jimmie Johnson: 19
Mark Martin: 5 (two seasons)
Dale Earnhardt Jr.: 1
Jeff Gordon: 1
Casey Mears 0 (one season)
He may not be as good as he once was but this season you can agrue that he is better then 41 other guys out there. Your right he could have 4 or 5 wins but the compitition has gotten so much harder and with the new double file restarts its that much harder to win races. Martinsville he would have won if Kenseth didnt dive bomb him, Vegas was his race but letarte made a bad call, Texas had the best car but got caught up in a big wreck. none of these were his own doing so cant blame him getting worse
I'm not saying Gordon forgot how to drive overnight. DW won three races in 1992 and had several more near-misses as late as 1998, but he never won again after '92.

Jeff Gordon has won a lot of races. A lot of races. But, as you said, the competition has gotten much tougher, and I don't think Jeff has ever fully gotten his arms around the COT.

For all the races that you can name that Gordon almost won this season, I can think of several where they were just plain junk and missed the setup completely. Gordon is becoming an afterthought in many races. Where was he at Indy last week?

I will credit him for staying in the top 15 almost every week. That's why he's second in points. When the chase starts, we'll see if he can put the hammer down and win a race or two and stay in the hunt. I don't think he will, but I could be wrong, and I will say so if I am.
i know Matt hard to overlook history but this year he's got a legit shot at the championship, i wouldn't be suprised at all if he won.
Matt the thing is just because they miss the setup for a race isnt a bad thing. Since they are so high in points they are trying things completly out of the box for them. 2 races they have missed it Atlanta and Bristol. They were running 9th when they had the tire problems and got damage to the spliter at Indy. Finished 3rd last year in the chase without any wins.
Jeff Gordon is still a threat to win a title, even if a longshot. THere aren't ten drivers in the series with a real threat to win a title.

He is still a threat to win races at many tracks, and could win anywhere for 0 to 5 races a year without surprising anyone.
So, what should Robby go do then? Since he sure as hell hasn't won any Cup races this year. Or last year. Or the year before that. Or the year before that....
Robby will have a chair, but I think we can put a group of items together to make life easier for him. He needs to form an alliance with Penske. This year, he could run a few Nationwide races to make Carl Edwards life miserable. Next year he could improve his chances at most tracks and run the Indy 500 for Penske, where Roger does rather well.
I think Robby takes over the 77 in the 7 car with Robby listed as the owner, but in the Penske stable. Hornish hasnt lived up to his potential and keeps wrecking cars. Penske moves him back to Cart. That is just my opinion. I know one thing, I'll be tuned in............... GAS ON ROBBY!!!
If he goes back to cart he will be the best driver in it........maybe the only one.
I'll have what he's drinking.

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service