From Jayski : Robby back to Chevy: #7-Robby Gordon says the Chevy-to-Indy move is just perfect for him, and he says he'll be a part of the new Chevy Indy operation. Gordon is preparing to run next spring's Indy 500 with his own team (it will of course have to be with a Honda engine). And Gordon says he expects to make the NASCAR jump next season from Toyota back to Chevrolet. Gordon, who heads back to Mexico in a couple of days to run the Baja 1000, says he's one of five men with a shot to win the 16-hour marathon. But it hasn't been such a great year for Gordon, who last year's off-road championship but who this year has been hit with mechanical issues, most recently with his off-road transmission."

Views: 242

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Is the move to Chevy definite? according to the update from Jayski, Robby is still working things out.

UPDATE: Robby Gordon just got to Phoenix International Raceway Friday morning, after spending the week 'pre-running' checking out legs of the Baja 1000 course, doing the GPS measuring and timing, and taking notes on where the notorious 'X's' are to be avoided and how fast to run where and when. He and his guys will fly back to the Baja immediately after Sunday's Phoenix 500-K, to put the finishing touches on things. And if all goes well, he'll finish the Baja 1000, which runs Tuesday and runs through Saturday, just in time to fly overnight Saturday cross-country to Homestead to make the starting line for Sunday's NASCAR season finale [no word who will practice and qualify the #7 car at Homestead and if Kevin Conway will be back in the car].
Factory-backing is key to the Dakar, and Gordon's sponsorship has been with General Motors, for its Hummer marketing. GM is of course dropping Hummer, but Gordon is banking on what appears to be a major new GM commitment to racing he's ready to sign up for the new Chevy Indy 500 deal, just announced Friday and maybe GM's marketing plans for that honking-big new truck will include one of the world's best off-roaders. It's a Chevy deal off-road, though he runs Toyotas in NASCAR. How Gordon fits into the NASCAR Toyota program isn't all that clear, but it doesn't look like much of a factory deal at all. Gordon is shopping for a new NASCAR manufacturer for 2011, and he says he wants to return to Chevrolet. Part of the behind-the-scenes key to Gordon's career has been partial backing from long-time friend John Menard, he of Menard's fame. Menard apparently still owns part of the Ilmor company that GM has picked to build its new Indy engines (for the 2012 season). That could be a key 'in' for Gordon.(in part from a long article at MikeMulhern.netmore info about Robby at the Baja 1000 at robbygordon.com)(11-14-2010)
woo hooo. Chevy 4 ever. lol
Chevy, Ford, Dodge or Toyota! In the big picture it does not really matter as the level of support from one of these manufactures to RGM will be very little to none on the NASCAR team. I know the haters are going to come out and say I dont know shit, but think about this for one second. Why would a manufacture step up and offer RGM money or more technical support than what they are currently getting? Robby has said multiple times and TOG has confirmed multiple times that Robby will not drive a full schedule and at this point it does not look like RGM will field a full time CUP team. So with that in mind, what would a manufacture get out of supporting RGM's NASCAR team? Robby has said his team will never be a Championship contender, he is not running full time so it's not like he will be helping that Manufacture gain many points to help them win a Manufacture Championship Title.

So why would a manufacture switch help RGM?

A manufacture switch might help RGM on business plateform as maybe moving the part time NASCAR team to Chevy will help get support with the other racing ventures like Indy and Dakar that RGM is involved with. Maybe trying to keep one brand under the RGM banner will help a manufacture want to support RGM more as a whole?

Also think about it this way. RGM still has to lease engines and maybe moving to Chevy will give RGM a better price on a limited engine lease package. Who knows maybe Triad is not interested in offering RGM a affordable deal as he will be running a limited amount of races. Now maybe ECR engines or some other supplier that deals with Chevy's is willing too sell a limited amount of races. And it is at a cost that is more affordable for RGM? Also with running a limited schedule maybe leasing engines from a team and not a engine supplier will offer some on track support, Triad cant help with that, but an ECR or Hendrick package might offer that as they have teams on the track. Because running part time team will push RGM even farther behind the curve as these teams are learning something new each week at the race track.
If Robby wants to perform at a top level at the races he does race, he will need out side help. Just keeping good NASCAR shop guys at RGM will be tough when your part time.

Who knows exactly why a switch would be better for RGM. But I would bet you that RGM is not switching to Chevy, because Chevy is offering to infuse RGM with money or Technical support on the NASCAR level.
I'll bet money if somebody with a NASCAR license comes to RGM with a sponser, you will see the 7 run the full season. Secondly, I will also bet if there is someone who is willing to sponser RG most of the time and some rookie from Nationwide the rest of the time, the 7 will be there for the season. Also, if Chevy wants to get some advanced mileage out Illmor building motors for Indycar, they may want to build a part time arrangement with RGM in Nascar with Illmoor as the sponser provided Nascar permits it. Lastly, we all know RG is great for cooking up last minute deals. He could be flying this ballon to get TRIAD to lower their price or Toyota to provide more tech data.
Partial schedule. Learn in.Live it. Love it.
Show of hands. Who has ever accurately predicted in advance a move on the businness front that Robby would make?

For all intents and purposes, he's likely got plans none of us will ever guess at, and keeps them under his hat until they are a sure deal or evaporate.
My hand is up, not that I'm guessing(educated or not), or predicting here...just for the record.
I'm with you Nikal one Manu one house one cause...to win. slapping a bow tie on all of the race cars including the Monster Truck will show a stable and loyal multi racing operation and marketing platform that is true to brand management and product representation.
On the one hand seems like the Triad engines have actually been pretty good, but on the other I see a definite advantage to all racing endeavors being under one manufacturer. And Chevy is the best!!
Maybe RGM is switching to Chevy so he can get assistance from Hendrick Motorsports, so they can run Danica in a partial cup schedule................. LOL!! Ya Right!!
I do know this,Hendrick,not so much.
Right, it should be fairly obvious where the engines will come from, IF RG switches to Chevy. There are 2 games in town. Of which, option A is a former employer with a mutual respect with Rob. Has new mutual team sponsor, & has shit tons of power on 4 of the tracks Rob is pretty good at all ready. Option B....has no prior history (unless you include Rob spinning multiple team drivers), conflicting sponsors, conflicting sponsors,&....well do I need to say more?

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service